Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Small Things

Every once in a while, I ask myself, Are you happy? Today, I answered, Yes.

I am happy because little things matter.

I love for example, the extension shed The Man has built me. I love the red metal roof he's put on it. The bicycles are hanging in it, the garden tools are in it, the main shed is no longer a mess.

I love the car bumper sticker that reads, My Other Car Is A Bicycle.

I feel satisfied today that I got air pumps for both fish tanks. In the small tank, the pump blows bubbles. It's a decorative thing, but it also adds more oxygen in the water for my plattys and mollys.

In the even smaller tank lives Hank. Hank is our new betta. I've been worried for days now the water in his tank is too cold now that the weather has chilled. Sure enough, it registered 70 when I put the thermometer in. I went to get a heater for it.

The first pet shop I went to told me heaters are expensive. It cost $50 for a 50 Watt tube. The shopkeeper said, You don't need a heater for a betta. They can live in room temperature. You can replace the betta five times for what you'd pay for the heater. Disposable fish? I am not that kind of person, but I didn't want to spend $50 on a heater.

So I came home and phoned another aquarium store. The owner has heaters that cost under $25. I went to pick one up. It is almost identical to the one that costs $50. Same tube idea, different brand. I also picked up an air pump to circulate the water.

I liked the bubbles created by the air pump so much, I got one for the plattys and mollys too. I had no idea how much I enjoy seeing bubbles in water. I like watching moving water.

I feel I had taken good care of my fish today, ensuring they have warmth and air. The betta now swims around more. The plattys and mollys play in the air bubbles. My worry about them has lifted and I am pleased with life.

Small things make me happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have a bumper sticker on your bike that reads, "My other Bike is a Car"?

The Sylph said...

I'll put that on a flag and tie it to my bike Pee-Wee Herman style.