Saturday, September 23, 2006

Are You A Target?

I would describe myself as a mild-mannered, accommodating person. But this doesn't sit well with the Dark Side. Bro told of his recent encounters with taxi drivers where they try to overcharge him or give him attitude. That is, they want the fare, but they don't want to take him to where he's going.

I've had bad incidents with taxi drivers too where they stomp all over me and I still pay the fare. Once, I was in a hurry and flagged down a cab. The driver said, Do you mind if I just drop this package off first? It's on the way. Being the unsuspecting nice person, I said, Okay. He took me half an hour out of my way, so I was late for my meeting, and I still paid him full fare. I know, I was young and inexperienced.

But I think taxi drivers have gotten even more unruly lately. Aside from being dangerous drivers, they display open contempt for their passengers. I know some of them are qualified to do high-paying work, and it's a force of circumstances that have reduced them to driving cabs. But I am still paying the fare and their attitudes suck.

So now, when I am in a hurry and I have to get in a cab, I am not a nice person at all. I scowl, like I hate being in the cab, and I bark out where I'm going and tell the driver how to get there in a gruff way. I practise being bitchy before getting into a cab. As I walk down the street, I adjust my face, don that "don't fuck with me" look, stomp and slouch as if there is a cloud over my head. In short, from leaving my house and walking to the parking lot where cabs are parked, I transform from a friendly neighbour to hostile bomber. Touch me the wrong way and I blow up.

It really does take practice, because sometimes, you just don't feel bitchy. But I think I'm getting pretty good at it. I've at least perfected the evil eye look. That's the sneer and glare you give to other drivers or people on the street that says, "Lock eyes with me and you are cursed for life." It really keeps people from talking to you unneccessarily.

No comments: