Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Is Too Much Enough?

We had a very nice dinner last weekend. It was a triple-birthday bash. Bro Bro, The Boy and Kid2 all had their birthdays within days of each other.

Bro hosted the event. I always like it when our extended family gets together. I like seeing the kids play together, and I like how Bro's house is so big, the adults could all be doing things and tend to their own addictions in different rooms.

But the thing I can't get over still is the quantity of food we had. I have not cooked since that dinner because I am still eating the leftovers from it. It's not like we haven't talked about the need to avoid food excess at past dinners, it's not like we're rake thin and need to put on weight, it's not like there were 100 of us at the dinner.

There were 17 of us. 5 were children. So that's really 12 adults, plus little kids being picky about their food. Bro ordered 40 pieces of breaded sole, 40 pieces of whole grilled calamari, 3 chickens cut up, plus potatoes and rice. Apparently, he figured that each person would have 2 pieces of fish, 2 whole calamaris and a piece of chicken, with a few pieces extra in case someone is really hungry, plus partake of the large platters of sushi that Bro Bro brought, the giant salad that Sis brought, and the vegetables I brought. And the three desserts.

I was going to say Bro Bro is the new mom. But even mom felt there was too much food and discouraged him from grilling the lamb and chicken wings, and me from cooking the third vegetable I brought.

In the end, only a tiny chunk was taken from each platter. There were lots of care packages to take home.

I don't mean to complain. It's really nice having so much good food that lasts a week. But I can't help marvel at much Bro over-estimated. Really, there was enough food to feed a hundred.

No comments: