Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sick Fish

My Fish has stopped eating. Yes, it's my Fish now. I have grown fond of him. It's turned whitish and sits at the bottom of the tank, fins clumped up. When it comes up for air, its fins are scraggly and frayed. I see little shreds of fin floating in the tank. The Fish looks very sad. I researched his condition on the internet. I think he's got fin rot, which can make him pale, inactive, and not eat while his fins rot away.

Fin rot comes from dirty water and overfeeding. And I thought I was so careful to change his water every few days. But it's true I've been very lax about cleaning his water since I put a new filter in. Can't trust a stupid motor to do my job. But then the pet shop boy I talked today said bettas get sick in the winter for some reason. He gets no questions about bettas in the summer, but come winter, everyone is coming in looking for treatment.

One pet shop boy told me I need to condition The Fish's water to get rid of the chlorine. Chlorine in tap water could be burning him and causing stress. I have never conditioned The Fish's water. Someone had told me I only need to let water sit overnight and the chlorine will evaporate. I read yesterday that I need to add aquarium salt each time i change water. The salt calms The Fish and protects The Fish's skin and scales. I have never used aquarium salt either.

So I went and bought water conditioner, aquarium salt, and something called BettaFix Remedy, which kills bateria and fungus that cause fin and tail rot, among other things, and promises to promote healing. I moved The Fish to a hospital bowl. It's a one-gallon bucket, which will require less water conditioner and remedy drops.

Already, I have OD'd on the conditioner and medicine because I miscalculated the conversion of imperial measurement instructions to metric volume. But that's okay, because I'm told you can't really OD on the water conditioner. You just waste the conditioner. And the medication? I just OD'd a little bit because I was cautious to under-medicate with the first treatment. Thank goodness I got the salt right, but only because I used a teaspoon for measuring instead of a tablespoon, the way the instructions asked you to.

So now I wait. It's a 7-day treatment. I need to medicate each day. And on the seventh day, I change the water. I read on someone's web site where she chronicled her betta's recovery, it took five days before she saw signs of improvement. I hope The Fish will be speedier.

I will also chronicle The Fish's recovery. Day 1: No change so far.

No comments: