Friday, December 09, 2005

Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful

The reason Canadians are not fatter than Americans is because for six months of the year, Canadians have to dig themselves out from the snow every morning before they can leave the house. Even in the city, you have to carve a path from your front door to the curb, then you clean off the car, and shovel the sidewalk. That's a half hour of physical work before your day begins.

So you get to say hi to your neighbours, all with shovel in hand shaking their heads, grumbling, Canada, eh?, and you look up and down the street and notice your view is framed by the white arches of the maple trees, and you hear mothers calling out to their children as they leave the house, You got your gloves, lunch?, and you marvel at the persistent who still ride their bikes to work in 8 cm of snow, and you think, Wow, it's like a different life form emerges the morning after the snow.

Well, I'm watching all this from my window. I actually haven't been outside yet, because I'm one of the wimpy ones inside lamenting, My god, do we live in the city or are we in the wilderness? I suppose I should go now and dig us out. Othewise, I won't be able to pick The Boy up from his concert tonight. He has already trundled off to school in his dad's boots.

Fuck, if it weren't for the visual beauty of the snow, that I could really use some exercise, and I have a legal obligation to clear my sidewalk of snow, I'd get back in bed and pull the covers over my head.

No comments: