Saturday, July 29, 2006

Each To His Own

We tried to catch the end of the Just For Laughs festival. We missed the free street performances, which ended July 23. But there are still some indoor shows on. We called for tickets for La Clique. Ah but they told us the show was sold out, and besides, it's entertainment for those 18 and up. Why? It's a burlesque show! No, they would not let The Boy in even if he is accompanied by his parents. Just as well. I don't want The Boy to think we make a point of lying about his age (as if he could pass for 18) and push and fight our way to get him in to see sex shows.

Well, there is the Outgames, the first althetic competition for gays. There is Twist Week - all night parties and a gay day at the beach. There is also Divers/Cite and Gay Pride Celebrations. Yup, we made it here for Pride Week! These three events take place in Gay Village. True, that's what it's called.

But our plans took a different twist. Last night, The Boy was watching a movie on his DVD player. He cupped the head of a halogen lamp into the front of a drawer to shade the light. I don't know why he didn't just turn the light off. The lamp burned a dark stained into the designer wood. This is The Man's cousin's designer loft. After her generous offer to let us stay here, the last thing we want is to burn her place down.

This morning, I got dropped off at the Botanical Garden while The Man and The Boy set out to find a solution to the burned drawer. No sense in all of us fretting in the heat. Good thing too. This excursion was one of the most satisfying and nourishing things I have ever done.

I am totally swept away by the different gardens and most impressed with the Chinese Garden. For one thing, I have never seen a real lotus. I never knew the flower grew on a stem way above water.





The Chinese Garden. It's called the Dream Lake Garden. The whole thing has the feel of the garden in Dream of Red Chamber. Long story.










I read that the Rose Garden was designed with the blind in mind. The designers wanted the blind to be able to walk through the garden following their nose only. I totally get it. At every turn, you are hit with a whiff of rose scent. Have I ever mentioned that I find the unscented flowers in supermarkets most unnatural?




I decided I like ferns, alot.


One of my favourite.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

So glad you took the time to visit the Botanical Garden. I really loved it too.

Anonymous said...

Walking above water like a fairy
Wearing a red hairpin
Fresh from a bath in the Hua Qing Pool
With a rosy cheek from drinking

By Caixing [Zhang Cuiying’s penname]

PP said...

Montreal is where I fell in love with Bonsai. That Botanical Garden was a magical experience.