Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Out Of Montreal

We're lost in Canada. We were. But we've found ourselves again, many times. This is what I know about The Man. He drives without knowing where he's going. When he says he needs a navigator, he really needs one. But he's a poor planner. For example, he drives off in the car, throws a map at me and asks me to tell him which way to go. I look at the map and say, I don't know where we are on this map, and I don't know where we are heading to on this map. That's how we ended up skirting Montreal for an hour before leaving the city.

The Boy is more in sync with The Man. He has an excellent sense of direction and seems to recognize street names and directions just like that. Once, when we were lost in Montreal, he directed us back to the loft. I don't know how he does it. The Man says if he ever goes on the Amazing Race, he wants The Boy with him.

But I still like Montreal. Aside from the Botanical Garden, we went to the Museum of Contemporary Art and saw amazing Italian designs. The things I saw made me happy - a mix of...I'm glad people are around to tend to the functional design side of life and a kid in a candy store kind of happy. I bought a sugar dispenser. The Boy has taken to mimicking me when I get excited.

On leaving the city, The Man filled up on gas while The Boy and I went into the store attached to the gas station. As he drove the car to a parking spot, the gas station owner came running after him asking if he intended to pay for the gas. I can imagine how embarrassed The Man was. But we got everything sorted out. Expensive gas.

We went to a friend's cottage in Quebec's Gatineau hills for Monday night. Beautiful cottage, beautiful kids. Wonderful hospitality, just like you'd find in the Middle East. So very hot today. 45C factoring in the humidex. Swam in the lake and didn't want to leave.

We are now in Quebec City, trying to act normal.

No comments: