Friday, March 10, 2006

Memorable People

Many characters come through Bro Bro's shop. I think he's right that he gets all the rejects from the bigger pharmacies near by.

The memorable cases from yesterday:

Paris came in. Paris has two wives. Each week, he takes a bus to another city to be with Wife #2 for a few days. Paris doesn't work. He is supported by both women. But the thing about Paris is, he's a fat, ugly, greasy, badly dressed, brusque old guy with poor hygiene who walks with a limp. He's being held up by medication. How does a guy like that do it, get two women to support him at the same time? What's in it for them? Bro Bro said it's some kind of co-dependency thing they have. I guess I don't understand co-dependency.

Under some insurance plans, pharmacies are allowed to dispense only limited quantities of certain drugs at a time. But if the patient were to provide a written letter to a pharmacy stating the dates of an extended absence, then the pharmacy can exceed the limit and dispense the amount needed while the patient is away.

A woman was going away for an extended time and needed her meds. But she didn't want to state the date of her absence because she wasn't sure when she's coming back. She wanted Bro Bro give her the drugs in advance and bill her drug plan for them later, pretending the drugs were dispensed at the later date, even after he explained to her it was illegal. The nerve! There is a legitimate way to obtain her medication. Why would she want Bro Bro to break the law and put his business at risk? Bro Bro is a high performer in customized patient satisfaction. I'm glad he said no to this one.

An OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) man lost his drug card. Over the course of two days, he must've phone 10 times to try to get a duplicate card faxed to the shop. Bro Bro was already on the case. But each time, OCD phoned to see if the fax had been sent, he said, "Please write on a piece of paper I've done my best from my end to sort this out. It's out of my hands now."

I told him one time, "It's okay. Don't worry about it. Bro Bro has already talked to your insurance company. They said they will fax a copy over. So it's okay, you don't have to worry about it any more."

He said, "But why? Why is it okay?"

I said, "Because sometimes you have to trust the process and trust what people say. We just have to be patient."

He said okay and hung up. But that didn't stop him from calling back five more times the next day.

My favourite is the beautiful dark-haired man who came in to pick up his prescription. He had a rugged face, warm blue eyes, and handsome smile. He was trim, well-dressed and polite. There was an aura of life and good humour about him. I know that my heart skipped a beat and my knees went weak a bit as I served him. But it was what Bro Bro said the next day that surprised me. He said, "Did you see that GQ guy who came in yesterday?"

I knew exactly who he meant. I said, "You noticed him?"

He said, "Yes, but I noticed more how you reacted to him. I saw the flush on your face." But then we determined that he was probably gay as he is a patient of a gay doctor in the building.

Still, it made me think. Sis had asked if I had fantasies of converting gay men. I don't. Looking at this gorgeous man confirmed that. I know I had a physical, probably sexual reaction to looking at him. But I hadn't thought sex with him at all. I thought what an esthetically pleasing man, I'm so glad he exists, not so different from the way I think about my charming and delightful four-year-old niece, or The Boy for that matter, or even the way The Boy describes his two youngest cousins: They make my heart smile. I reacted to exquisite beauty and nature's own perfection. Which made me think of The Man and how I wish he wasn't away.

No comments: