Monday, March 27, 2006

Credit Rich

I went into the bank the other day to cash a cheque. I opted to go to the teller instead of using the ABM because my cheque was in American funds and I wanted to make sure the equivalent in Canadian funds was deposited.

The teller looked up my record and asked why I wasn't taking advantage of all the credit I was eligible for. To which I said, because if I used the credit, I'd still have to pay back and I don't want to be loaded down with debt. She said, Just because you have the credit, doesn't mean you have to use it. Your credits have been pre-approved, you just need to accept them so you will have emergency funds if you ever need them. Doesn't cost you a thing unless you use the funds.

So she persuaded me to accept all the credits I was eligible for.

This is what I get for talking to people. I went into the bank hoping to cash a cheque and put $100 in my pocket. I walk out with the $100, plus a $30,000 limit on my credit card and a $10,000 line of credit. Great. Now I can buy a car on Visa.

Those banks are evil, giving people credit whether they want it or not, hoping they would use the credit and owe their lives to the bank. A more feeble-minded person than me would own that car by now, and a closetful of new clothes. Don't think I don't hear the call. It's times like this I am really grateful for two things - the practical Chinese mindset that tells me not to owe anyone money, and my own disorganized bungling way. I have never actually activated that credit card and I forgot to ask how to access my line of credit.

No comments: