Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Focus

The last two days have been unsettling in a comforting kind of way.

At the shop yesterday, my mother showed up with food. We had food spread out on the counter and being in the way during a particularly busy period. When there was a lull, Bro Bro and mother engaged in some conversation that ended with Bro Bro doing a round of cholesterol testing on us, followed by a round of blood sugar testing, followed by blood pressure taking. I'm still kind of laughing about it a day later. I mean, who does that in their spare time?

Today, I opened a cupboard under the counter to put something away. The counter where the cupboard is juts out sharply to accommodate Bro Bro's keyboard. I am full of grace and litheness. I think of myself as being full of grace and litheness. I was so bent on putting things away, I didn't notice the jut on the counter and banged my forehead on it as I stooped down. I am now walking around with a horn on my forehead.

Our friend, Taximan came in today to relieve me. Because neither Bro Bro nor I had any food all day, he agreed to get us some. Taximan wanted Chester Fried Chicken. Bro Bro was concerned about his waist. I didn't want to go to meditation class on an empty stomach. Taximan made his case. I supported it. We decided to go with chicken.

Me - I just want one piece.
Bro Bro - Get us five pieces so you and I can have two each and Sylph will have one.
Me - What else do they have besides chicken?
Taximan - Eight pieces.

After Taximan left for the chicken, I said to Bro Bro - What do you think he'll come back with?
Bro Bro - He'll come with five pieces of chicken.
Me - Bet he'll come back with eight.

Taximan came back with eight pieces of fried chicken and we ate them hovered over garbage bins like hobos in a park.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

The Waif is right - always farm pigs in clusters two or more. Interesting how a discussion went from 2 pieces of chicken for Slim, 2 for TaxiMan and 1 for Sylph ended up in the blog as 3 for Slim and 2 for Sylph. I can only assume that Taximan had 3 pieces.

So Sylph, what's the truth here. Does Taximan just randomly bring food by the store or does Slim order it ahead of time? Each is pointing the finger at the other.