Wednesday, June 21, 2006

View From My Window

Now it's even sooner. The Man will be home Saturday night. That's four days from now.

I feel inexplicably anxious and paralyzed at the same time. Lots of nervous energy, but not the mental focus to get things done. I'm bursting with excitement to see him. But there is so much to do to get the house ready, and so little time. It's like exam paralysis all over again. Or maybe I am just nursing a knee injury, from tripping on my groovy long pants in my over-sized garden clogs going up the stairs and banging my knee into one of the steps.

The quote to take down the Manitoba maple ranges from $1,500 to $4,700. I am stunned. I will go with a quote in between that includes taking the wood away. But the latest arborist suggested I phone Bell because the tree is sitting on their lines. Removing that branch may mean taking down some of the lines, rendering our street without phone service.

Bell doesn't have a policy to cover what to do in preventative cases. The operator read through their policy with me. The problem, she said, is right now, their lines are fine, so they can't do anything about lines that are working fine. But she did promise to check into it and let me know if anything needs to be done to prevent disruption of service. Here I am trying to do the decent thing by alerting them to a potential problem.

I'm also trying to bring in a new couch before The Man arrives. Unlikely though unless I want to go pick it up. I need time and muscles.

I need to make room in the closet and clear my things out his side of the dresser. And can I lose 30 lbs by Saturday?

The Boy however is living moment to moment. He went off to his final exam this morning, asking me to make arrangements to spend time with his young cousins Kid1 and Kid2, as he left the house. What made him think of them this morning instead of his dad?

I am drinking my mint tea and taking stock of the landscape in front of me. I can't move mountains, nor the tree before The Man gets home. I suppose I can clean the house. I did stock the fridge with beer, and got a new grill surface for the barbeque. I even have a route to the airport. I wonder if I should take up smoking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great news! Beer in the fridge-check, tree removed, no check, 30 pounds, I don't think that's do-able. housework? do-able. a bottle of wine? do-able. A house full of minor improvements? check! (he will notice). Send a Limo with a driver carrying a sign. He'll get home. It gives you more time to make his welcome more special and stress free. (might I remind you that you are terrified of driving on the 401?) Kate