Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lazy And Lax

It is pleasant sitting here beside The Boy. He's on the desktop computer, I'm on my laptop. We sit side by side. He's playing Beatles tunes, some of which I have never heard.

The Man has gone to Port Hope to take his mother to Kingston for a doctor's appointment. It's a chance to get in some one-on-one time between mother and son, in both households.

The Boy and I have been fielding calls for The Man. Good friends have called to chat with him and welcome him back. We even have social invitations from family and friends. We are blessed to have these good people in our lives.

Other than that, I spent the day outside mostly. Sitting and reading. I wondered if my focus - my ability to concentrate on a reading a book - has returned now that The Man is back. It has not. I think it's not so much life disruptions, surprises and coasting that keep me from focusing. I think I need to wear eyeglasses full time. I concentrate better with them on. It's hard to pay attention to life when you can't see what's in front of you.

A few years ago, we all got new computers in the office. Everyone fiddled with their settings and screen colours, selecting the look and feel that defined their uniqueness. I set the default text on my computer to, well, to large. That way, I didn't have to strain to see what was on the screen. A coworker walked by, shielded his eyes and shrieked, Whoa, and those are settings for the visually impaired.

I think I have to face my impairment headon. Don the glasses and get on with reading. My book club won't wait.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

But there is a natural remedy. Check out this site: www.vision-training.com

There's even a 2-day workshop coming up in Toronto on October 14 and 15.

Only for believers.