Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Power Ranger

Ever since I fixed my mother's drywall, I've been quite the handywoman.

I have done the following repairs:

1. Replaced door locks.
2. Unclogged the kitchen sink.
3. Changed the furnace filter.
4. Installed a horizontal rod that suspends from the ceiling so I can hang dry my delicates.
5. Rigged a keyless lock for my garden gate.
6. Replaced the coupling on a garden hose.
7. Repaired two leaks in a garden hose with clamp-style fittings.
8. Replaced the closer on a storm door. I like using the electric drill.
9. Repaired fencing. Hammer in hand feels goods.
10. Trimmed the overgrown cedars in the garden. I like using the electric hedger.
11. Replaced a bathtub faucet.

My latest work includes:

12. Mounting the first rendition of an installation art in the backyard.


The art is the one that looks like a dead stick in the ground to the untrained eye, not the silly light bamboo stick that The Boy uses as a gun and I forgot to remove before taking the photo.

This is a wishing rod that doubles as a bluejay perch. The bluejays have been coming in to use the birdbath. They rest on this stick between dips. But aside from that, this is a rod I can hang wishes on. It is an idea inspired by Kiki. I can write out my wish on a stroll and hang it on one of the pegs on the rod. Or I can hang a laminated photograph of someone I care about. Or I can hang an empty picture frame so that the framed view changes with the wind.

In later renditions, this will be a wishing tree, with long branches stretching from the trunk. This is an art installation that will evolve with the season, the materials available, and my mood.

13. Constructing a free-standing base for my trellis. See the stand that the trellis sits in? I designed and built it.


The trellis is now a free standing unit that requires no mounting to the house. It stands behind the rose bush, waiting for the rose vines to climb it.


And that's not all. My range of house projects runs deep and wide.

My biggest challenge to date will take place this weekend. I will drain and unhinge the toilet to replace the toilet seal to stop water leaking on the floor.

Then I will regrout the tiles on a bathroom wall.

And to think I only score in the 20th percentile in every mechanical aptitude test I've ever taken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know that there is this wishing tree concept in Hong Kong. People write their wishes onto these red ribbons, tie a twig to each end of the ribbon and toss it up into the tree where it catches a branch and gets stuck up there. You're supposed to stand with your back to the truck and toss it up backwards. After a while the tree is full of these red ribbons tangles in it. It's quite a site.