Thursday, June 22, 2006

Those Kinky Orchids

I have the impression the orchid is a rare and beautiful flower. Its acquisition is the subject of The Orchid Thief, which spawned the movie Adaptation.

So with curiosity, I clicked onto cbc.ca's article about a bisexual orchid.

The Holcoglossum Amesianum orchid grows high on tree trunks in China. It flowers during the drought season. High up and dry means no insects and no wind, the usual carriers of pollen. So what does this orchid do to reproduce? It self pollinates.

The pollen-bearing anther uncovers itself and rotates through 360 degrees to insert pollen into its female cavity, the stigma.

I may be new at gardening. But this sounds like the orchid is fucking itself. Those kinky orchids.

Which reminds me of The Boy the other day. He was reading Animal Farm the night before his English exam. After a while, I heard him shouting in the basement. Then he stomped upstairs, looking for a snack, muttering to himself, Those sneaky pigs, those sneaky pigs.

He said he had to take a break because those sneaky pigs were getting to him. How did pigs end up the bad guys? Sure, I read Charlotte's Web before Animal Farm. But that's just my point. In my world, pigs are naturally good guys.

And here I thought I was interferring with nature because tonight I took from my sister two clippings each of a white shrub rose and a japanese maple that I want to root. I have to buy rooting hormone powder and sterile potting soil for rooting.

What is natural? Is anyone normal? Whatever.

No comments: