Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Unfazed

We've dropped The Man off at the airport. Now I am home. Although the house has not been turned upside down due to his departure, I feel like I'm home to rein the day in. I miss The Man.

The Man told everyone his flight time was 11:55. Some friends invited us to dinner before his departure. Surprisingly, he accepted and was eager to be there. We planned to have an early dinner, then leave our friends at 9:30 to get to the airport by 10:00. These friends then rounded up several other friends for a send off dinner.

While The Man was out having lunch with another one of his friends, I wanted to check the status of his flight. That's when I looked at his ticket print-out, and just to verify what I saw was real, I went online to double-check. That's right, his flight time was not 11:55. It was 21:55. Which meant 9:55. But the boarding time was 20:55 (8:55).

This meant we had to be at the airport by 7:00.

When we got in touch with our friends to cancel dinner, they invited us over for coffee. That was gracious of them despite them having to notify our other friends.

But just to make matters more complicated, The Man phoned The Boy at school and said now that he's leaving earlier, could The Boy also see him off at the airport. The Boy was just going into orchestra rehearsal so we arranged to pick him up at the subway on the way to the airport, and that we would phone him with a 15 minute notice.

Which lead me to asking The Man for my cell phone. He gave it back, without battery. It meant I had to take the charger to our friends' and charge it there. Yes, we went over for coffee and electricity.

On the way to their house, I said to The Man jokingly, "You sure you have your plane ticket?"

He said, "Yes, but I'll make sure before we go into their house."

We parked. The Man looked for his ticket. "Hey, where's my briefcase?" he asked.

I said, "The last time I saw it, you put it on the armchair when we were putting our shoes on." So The Man went home to get it because not only did his briefcase contain his plane ticket, it also contained his computer, passport, and money. Meanwhile, I went into our friends' house to explain why I was arriving alone.

They are so gracious, they had a good chuckle, though they called him a goof. Some of our other friends came by anyway to say goodbye. We had a nice little visit, then we were off.

The rest of the evening was uneventful. But then The Boy was with us. When The Boy and I are together, we usually get it right despite our fights.

I am drinking mint tea now and planning out the next segment of my life. Surprisingly, my blood pressure is at an all-time low of 119/75. Am I dead and don't know it, or am I just so good at handling The Man I am unfazed by his unpredictability? I miss The Man.

No comments: