Monday, January 14, 2008

Boom Boom

The Man texted a message mid-morning to say he's fine despite the boom. What boom?

I had just left my doctor's office when I received the message. I hurried home to see if I could get more information. As I thought about what the message meant, I could feel my heart go up my throat and had to focus on keeping it in my chest as I drove.

I got online and googled Afghanistan news. Indeed, two hours ago, Reuters issued a story about suicide bombers in Kabul throwing hand grenades at the Serena hotel to get past security, then going inside to blow themselves up. Two hotel guards were killed and three foreigners were injured.

I have had coffee and cake at the Serena Hotel. The Man sometimes goes there for meals.

I sent a text message to The Man. He replied though he did not pick up when I phone him. At least he is fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Man is mostly okay. He sometimes mentioned secretly (also to friends) that he is very sad not to be with the Women and the young Man. He misses them!

However, the Man has a strong sense of humor and has a fantastic character and motivates the other "Mans" souls here in Kabul.

He is a good Man.