Saturday, January 26, 2008

Here And There

In Toronto, I am hot. That's because of my cold and fever, and my hot flashes. I go shopping, I see friends, I go out to dinner, I go to pilates classes, I go for walks, I track down The Boy around town because sometimes I don't know where he is and I want to give him heck for not telling me. Last night, I partook of Winter City, Toronto's winter festival of shows and restaurants. Lots of freedom. Though it's been cold out, it's very warm when we get indoors.

The weather in Kabul is the same as in Toronto: -5C during the day, -14C at night. Except central heating doesn't exist in Kabul.

The Man wears his coat and scarf in his office. He's bought a duvet for the cold nights. To reduce draft, he's asked his guards to seal the windows with plastic sheets. The pipes in his house froze so he's had to go to the UN compound to shower. Just when the guards got the pipes going again, his heater died. Tazi, my scraggly Afghan Hound, now sleeps in The Man's apartment because despite the lack of consistent heat, it is warmer there than in the basement.

Security alert has been higher since the bombing of the Serena Hotel. Foreign workers are discouraged from going out; they move around even less than before.

The weekly walking group The Man wanted to take part in is now on hold. To get some exercise, he has joined a yoga class even though he doesn't like the kind of yoga they do, but it's better than nothing. He even offers his house as a venue for the yoga class sometimes so no pattern of foreigners' movements can be established.

Socially, The Man and his friends meet for dinner at the UN compound. Sometimes, they go to his house to make dinner and to watch movies on his laptop.

2 comments:

PP said...

Has The Man actually adopted Tazi? Does he buy him food and feed him? Who took care of Tazi before The Man arrived? Who groomed him? What will happen to Tazi when The Man leaves?

The Sylph said...

I seriously want him to bring Tazi back but he doesn't want to. Tazi was owned by the woman who rented the house before The Man. Now the guards feed her and look after her. I don't think anyone grooms her, though once, The Man brought some friends home and one of them gave Tazi a bath. She's a house dog.