Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's The Weather

I get anxious when it's too sunny and the light is blazing outside. I feel everyone must be doing exciting and meaningful things in the sun and I am missing out. But if I force myself outside and get warm, I feel better, glad to be alive.

When it's a bit overcast, I feel the environment is automatically more in sync with me. It must be because of my fundamentally melancholic nature. However, I don't like it cold, wet and windy out. That's when I feel like a homeless waif, out in the cold, with nowhere to go. A restlessness comes over me and I feel I need to build shelter, gather food, make friends, have a family, before it's too late.

So often the weather determines our mood. It is no wonder the weather is the topic of choice when you greet someone, as in "Nice day we're having, eh?", akin to the Chinese greeting, "Have you eaten?" when talking to a complete stranger. We acknowledge what's important to us.

It's been a wet, cold and overcast October. We've had the furnace on since the beginning of the month, I've been wearing my winter coat and muckers. When I look out the window, I see yellow and red leaves all around. I am busy cementing relationships, championing my Candidate, making sure dinner is on the table not too late. It's the weather that's driving my current bout of activity even as I am feeling kind of forlorn. And in its own strange way, I feel kind of at home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear oh dear,

Hope that the weather will change to sunny soon. Never saw that word
' forlorn ' interesting , but don't feel miserable because : " Eltse wolk hat in sulveren rânne "

Fokke from Fryslân