Saturday, October 21, 2006

I Saw Them

I saw them together. I suspected I may have two black baby mollys in my tank. Then yesterday, I saw both of them, at the same time. This is like, I'm a grandmother of twins!

There may even be three baby mollys. But I am not sure if the third is a flicker of a shadow or a real fish. It's amazing how completely formed the baby fish are despite their small size. It's even more amazing how strong their instinct for survival and self-preservation is. They slip so easily into crevices between rocks and have escaped being dinner for their parents and friends.

So at least two more fish, each less than half an inch long from tip of head to tip of tail. They look like a sliver in the water, not much different from a string of fish poo, except they're black. Already, they have me thinking a bigger tank. At some point, the red platys will give birth. I will need to accommodate them all. If more fish are born between now and December, guess what everyone is getting for Christmas?

It really is neat. It's finding life where you don't expect any, it's watching life come into being, it's witnessing nature fulfill its potential. Just two little slivers of fish, yet they represent so much.

No comments: