Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Line

A few nights ago, The Boy came home with four friends to spend the night. Just before bedtime, the kids went out. A little while later, The Boy came back alone.

"Where did your friends go?" I asked.

"They wanted to go for a walk," he said.

"Really? Or are they doing drugs?"

"Are you going to be a cool mom or are you going to chastise them?"

"I won't say anything to them. They have the good sense not to do it in the house, and made a point of not even being near the house."

"They don't do anything worse than pot. That's in fact all they do."

"You're not doing it with them?"

"I can't tell you how much I am against drugs of any kind. Really, you don't have to believe me. I've tried pot, but I don't do it."

"I believe you."

The thing is, a part of me wanted to ask where the kids got their pot from, and whether they could get me some. But I refused to cross the line. I wanted to remain authoritarian parent. So I didn't pursue the subject any more. The kids came back, went to bed, and all was well the next day.

No comments: