Friday, April 25, 2008

The Adult Teen

I was in the change room of the gym the other day. A woman beside me was in her underwear, blasting her radio. She looked to be in her 20's, maybe even early 30's. Suddenly, an old man slumbered in. Immediately, he said, "Sorry, wrong change room", turned around, and left.

Earlier, I almost walked into the men's change room. I accepted that the old guy made a mistake.

But the half-naked woman beside me didn't. Granted, she was undressed and I wasn't. She felt she had been caught naked and I didn't. Here's what the woman did. She said, "Hey man, that's not even cute. No way, man. That's not right." For sure, he shouldn't have walked in. But he didn't do it to be cute. Part of me dismissed the incident because really, there ain't nuthin' on a body I hadn't seen, and the old man must've seen it all in his day too.

Then the woman phoned someone and said, "Call me back in 10 and I give it to ya." Wow, she had to tell a friend about it as if it was a talk-worthy incident. When she walked out to the front, she complained to the reception, "A man walked in to the change room and saw me. She was lucky, she still had her clothes on. He said he made a mistake. But that's not right, man, for him to walk in." Did she want the person at reception to undo what happened?

Beyond what she did - blasting her music, phoning a friend, complaining to reception when the old man acknowledged his mistake - it was her tone that made me take notice. It irked me. I thought she was going to ask reception to do something to mark the men's and women's change rooms clearer, but she complained about the injustice she suffered. Something was not right about how she behaved and how she looked.

After thinking about it, I conclude it's because she looked like an adult but behaved like a teenager of the trashy kind. None of the teenagers I know actually behave like that. All judgment aside, I had to ask myself, how many adults do I know who never got over their teen image? More importantly, am I one of them, and do I behave like one in at times? I have to think about this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I so know that chick.

The Sylph said...

Then she'll so wanna to give it to ya!

Anonymous said...

Er...chick...I meant woman.