Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boys And Girls

Last night, I took Mom to a production of Tartuffe at The Boy's school. It was an excellent play. I loved the costumes. After, I overheard one parent tell another, "I go to Niagara-On-The-Lake every year, and I honestly think these kids are better."

I know what he meant. Sometimes, professional actors let real life get in the way of their characters. These kids, those who get into character, are consumed by their characters. And if their untroubled lives enter the character, it's their personality that seeps into the character, adding a charm and delight that only kids can bring.

In the hallway after the show, I witnessed a most charming exchange of camaraderie. The Boy, Butterfly Boy, Butterfly Girl (Butterfly Boy's girlfriend) and I were standing in the hall. Mom was already waiting in the car. A student walked by with a bucket of long-stem roses, individually wrapped. They were to be given to each student who took part in the play, including those in the pit orchestra, which is where The Boy came in.

As the student walked by, The Boy stopped her and said, "I'd like to have mine now." The student gave a rose to him. He took the flower, hovered with Butterfly Boy in front of Butterfly Girl and me, and whispered, "Give this to Butterfly Girl, give this to Butterfly Girl."

Butterfly Boy said, "Huh?"

"Give your girlfriend a rose."

"Oh."

"Wait. Mom, would you like this rose?"

"No thanks."

"Would Pau-Pau like it?"

"No."

He took Butterfly Boy's arm again and whispered, "Give this to Butterfly Girl."

Butterfly Boy took the rose and gave it to Butterfly Girl, kissing her gently on the hand.

The Boy said, "Aww, Butterfly Boy gave you a rose."

Butterfly Girl laughed, "Thank you. But Boy, could you hold it till we get outside? I don't want people to think I stole a flower from Mainstage." So she gave The Boy the rose back. That's when I left them to sort it out.

No comments: