Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Obstructionist

Sometimes, there are things you can't control, so you don't try. And then there are times you realize you must step in to avert disaster so you do it, even if it means bringing out the inner bitch.

The Man wants to revamp The Boy's room. The room has been the same since The Boy was 18 months old. It's time to turn his room into that of a young man's. The Boy doesn't mind. He sorely needs better shelving and storage space, and he wants a new bed.

The Man is determined to get rid of everything - the bed, the desk, the bookshelves, and the dresser. He wants to buy an antique dresser that stretches three quarters the length of one wall below the window, then install open shelves above the dresser on both sides of the window. That way, The Boy's room will contain storage along one wall and a bed, and that's all. He doesn't need a desk because he uses his desk for storage only anyway.

So we got a new bed. The Boy loves his new bed. It's a double, and it's really, really comfortable.

Then The Man made the The Boy pack up his things in boxes so he could get rid of the desk. I cringed, because now The Boy will live among boxes. So here's where I become an obstructionist.

We already bought a new bed. I don't want to spend any more money on things that aren't urgently needed and will make the house a mess. So why don't we keep the desk for now. Too late, The Man has put The Boy's desk on Craigslist and someone is coming to get it. Except the person hasn't come, for two days now. She just keeps phoning to postpone the pickup. I have a desk in the living room and boxes all over the place. On the weekend, I am hosting Chinese New Year mah jongg and will need our space back.

I have put my foot down. The Man is not allowed to spend any more money. I don't want an antique dresser that sits too high to the window and doesn't extend all the way across the wall. We won't be able to move the unit into The Boy's room anyway. I want to custom build low drawers that serve as a window seat. I don't want to get rid of the book shelves and dresser till we have the money to build the drawers and shelves for The Boy. I can tolerate living with a few boxes. I won't have The Boy living only out of boxes.

I am going to move out with The Boy if The Man brings in any more furniture we don't need and can't afford, or gets rid of more of The Boy's things. I pride myself on how uncluttered I keep my small house. I don't want to have to wend my way around boxes.

What, it's Valentine's Day? Well then, I'm glad The Boy has a really really comfy bed to sleep in.

No comments: