Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Little Girls

I don't often have the opportunity to talk to little girls. When I do, it's always a treat. On Chinese New Year, I had the chance to talk to my 10-year-old niece. She's a noisy girl. Yet, when she enters into conversation with me, she is intelligent, focussed, and passionate. And ever so sweet. Plus, I find out things about her.

For example, her class did a mock election during a recent provincial by-election. Her teacher had the students run for mayor and councillors in class. Niece ran for mayor. She made a speech, which her teacher said was the most professional one of her class. She outlined the issues that she felt needed to be addressed in the city, like traffic, the environment, and poverty.

She didn't win. But she said that was okay. It was still a great experience, and she wants to be a lawyer when she grows up, so she can enter politics, because she wants to be prime minister of Canada!

The last time I talked to little girls was when I was rock climbing. A group of them came in for a birthday party. I asked them if they liked rock climbing. They were enthusiastic and rational. One girl said in a most innocent and matter-of-fact way, "I've never rock climbed before, but I was invited to come, so I wanted to give it a try. It's fun."

No fear, no attitude, as they sit on the cusp of adolescence. Gone is the cutesy whine. Just a confident willingness to give it a go before they hear the no-you-can'ts and no-you-shouldn'ts. Before the turbulent emotional teen years set in.

I love young girls because they are fresh-faced and bright-eyed, ever so open-minded. I wish they could hold on to this optimism and promise forever. I feel the urge to mold them, help them retain their confidence and centredness, show them how to get high on life without drugs, alcohol, make-up, and surgery, tell them girlfriends rule, teach them how not to let relationships with boys undermine their self-esteem.

Bro started querying Niece about her knowledge of the political parties. She wasn't sure about the facts. I said issues of names and fact can be learned in books and off the internet. That'll come in time. It's that quality of leadership to want to give voice to issues and her spirit of determination that needs to be mined.

I told Niece I will work on her campaign and vote for her. She said her teacher has also agreed to work on her campaign when she runs for office. This girl is already a winner.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

I've been having an e-mail exchange with Niece about the political process since Sunday. It's been nice to have this dialogue with her - she's growing up.