Thursday, May 31, 2007

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes, Part II

The kids' nanny is three months pregnant. This being her second pregnancy, she's already showing.

This morning, I got dressed in front of Kid2. I put on a smock like top that drapes over my girth. Kid2 looked at me wide eyed and hopeful, "Are you pregnant?"

I wanted so much to say, Yes, just to see her squeal with delight, but then I'd have to produce a baby some time down the line. So I had to deflate her and said, "No, this is just fat. But look what I can do." I sucked up my tummy and my pregnancy disappeared. She didn't know what to make of it so gave me a wry smile and went away.

Pregnant, eh? She's not the first to have thought that. As Bro Bro said once, it's quite flattering actually, that people still think I look young enough to be pregnant despite my ripe old age. But the kid thinks I look pregnant, eh? Hmmn.

And then there is Kid1. One of the words in Kid2's spelling exercise is spread. We've done the dictation and she gets the word right. Then we came across the word again in her reader. She struggled with it a bit. I said, "Spread. Remember, that's the same word on your spelling list."

She said, "Oh, I thought spread is like when you spread jam on bread."

"It's the same word. But here, it has a different meaning."

Kid1 butted in, "It's a homonym," and walked away.

Homonym? Is it a homonym? I have to look that up. I don't have that knowledge on the tip of my tongue. I'm home now and I looked it up. Kid1 was right. Words that sound the same and are spelled the same, but have different meanings are homonyms. What kind of a freak is he?

No comments: