Sunday, January 14, 2007

Eyeing For A Daughter

Sometimes I wonder what The Boy will be like on a date. Thing is, he's smart and good looking, has wit and talent. At 16, he could pass for 13, so he's innocent looking too. Little kids adore him, older people find him charming. He's respectful but is driven by the need to have a good time and be cool.

When he spends time with male friends, he often books them back to back, giving nary a thought to homework, sleep or his parents. He thinks I'm strict because I insist he phones home regularly when he's out. But that's okay. He has friends whose parents require the same of them.

So yesterday, he went to Dancegirl 1's to study for Biology. That's the course he's not doing well in. Dancegirl 1 is a straight A student, got 96 in Biology. The Boy has picked a good partner to study with. Only, he made tentative plans to go from Dancegirl 1's straight to Singinggirl 1's after studying.

At 4 pm, Singinggirl 1 and her best friend, Singinggirl 2 phoned to confirm their plans. I told them I would pass on their message. Curly and Butterfly Boy also phoned to see what The Boy's doing. At 6 pm, The Boy phoned to say he's staying at Dancegirl 1's for dinner, then heading to her best friend's, Dancegirl 2, to continue studying. I relayed all his messages.

I know teenagers do things in groups, are casual about getting together, and change plans last minute. I know I see the convolution because I insist on knowing where The Boy is and who he's with.

But here's where the mother in me kicks in. I like Dancinggirl 1, even though I have never met her. I like that she's a dance major, I like that she gets good grades. I like that The Boy travels to the subway stop near her house and she and her mom pick him up. I like that Dancegirl's dad was going to surprise her mom with dinner by ordering in pizza and wings, over orders, and asks The Boy to stay. I like that he studies with the Dancegirls. I like that he phoned home when he left their house, that they drove him to the subway, and he got home by 11 pm as promised.

I now also know I am scrutinizing for daughter-in-law prospects.

No comments: