Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Blathering

I can't say that I enjoyed reading French Women Don't Get Fat. The gist of the book is, eat anything you want, but eat only one bite, and the author saying, I'm skinny because I'm French. I know, the title of the book kind of gave that away. But it's disconcerting to find that really is what she's saying.

But there is one thing in the book I liked. And that is eat nothing but leek soup for a whole weekend. Not vichyssoise. Just leeks cooked in water. I like this soup. I have this brilliant idea that I should try to eat this soup every weekend and not fuss too much about what I eat during the week. I guess it's this kind of lazy dieting that gained me 10 lbs over the holidays. Maybe I'll throw in some exercise if I have to. And the entertaining every weekend has got to stop. After next weekend.

The Boy came home last night after all. I dropped him off at Drummer Friend's for the night on Thursday. They were practising for their Friday exam. After the exam, he was going to hook up with Butterfly Boy and spend the night at his house in celebration of the end of exams. Friday night, I was hosting my book club meeting, The Man was having dinner with Architect. We were settled for the night.

During our book club dinner, The Boy checked in. He said he ended up at Singinggirl's where Butterfly Boy and others was spending the day. He wasn't sure if he was going to Butterfly Boy's for the night and may just come home. One of my friends said, So he's carrying his overnight pack around the city and looking for a place to crash?

I guess that's what in effect happened. But bless The Boy, he took my cell phone with him so I could get in touch with him, and he checks in regularly.

Over dinner, the book club members insist that every teenager by the time they reach 16, has tried smoking pot. I wasn't sure if The Boy had. So when he got home, I asked him. He said yes! He tried it last year. Whoa. Why am I so surprised? Neither The Man nor I made a fuss. Then The Boy said he and his friends are not smokers or drinkers, mainly because no one supplies drugs and alcohol and they are simply not into it. But there was an opportunity to try pot last year and he did out of curiosity. That was all.

I've been sleeping better the last few nights. I think the secret for me is separate blankets. Two bodies get really hot under a down duvet. I wake up from sweat a few times a night. Now I have my own silk padded comforter. It breathes. I sleep through the night.

Now I am being harassed to get ready to go to a restaurant supply store. I have no idea what The Man wants to get there. It's not like we operate a restaurant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I long for the days when I was not so single and I threw off the duvet in a heated frenzy which wasn't directly related to Menopause!