Sunday, August 20, 2006

So Pretty

At the Bay of Fundy, the park attendant gave us a tide schedule. I thought, What gives? How do you keep the tide on schedule? Who do you negotiate the schedule with? Can there be a delay or cancellation? The Boy was exasperated with me for most of the trip because I was too particular like that, and because I couldn't get over the tides. Every time I expressed awe about the tide, he said, Yes, yes, they're a miracle of nature. Then he moved far far away from me.

We camped in the park for three nights. While it was pleasant being together, camping is not as much fun on our own any more. I like camping better when we can create a village with our friends and families. And the fact that the sites were close together without a lot of trees in between didn't help. The Man was just looking for reasons to complain even though our neighbours were respectfully quiet.

We took all our meals in Alma, a 10-minute drive through the park. Very clever to have a town at the entrance of the park. The gas station runs a thriving business and convenience store. We bought T-shirts that turn brilliant colours in the sun. Fish markets sold cooked lobsters and dulse, dried seaweed that you either love or hate because it tastes fishy and salty. I started to promote the idea of buying a cooked lobster and eating it at a picnic table instead of going into a restaurant for one, a venture The Man and The Boy shied away from till we got to PEI.

Not to be cliche about nature scenes, but here are a few views that took my breath away at the Bay of Fundy.

Driving through the park.


A lookout on the road.


Alma at low tide.


Alma at high tide.


Covered bridge in the park.


Finally, some waterfalls.

No comments: