Saturday, August 26, 2006

Sunshine

I must be living in my own happy place all the time. I think The Man is building me an extension for the shed, I have great dinners with friends, The Boy is engaged in school and has good friends, my mother loves us, my friend calls me a lady of leisure.

Then I find out The Man is building not the extension I want but some contraption of his own design that bears little resemblance to what I need. I find out that at the dinner with friends, words were issued which caused slight. I thought everyone was having as nice a time as I was. Wasn't I at the same gathering? How come I didn't hear the exchange? And The Boy, well The Boy and I never have a conversation without arguing. Mom is always preparing for war time and tries to fatten us up while she can so when war comes, we won't immediately shrivel up to nothingness, and she doesn't even live with us. And in my leisure, I take Prozac and see a shrink.

This is all to say, I just saw a trailer of Little Miss Sunshine. It's about a family that looks normal on the surface, but is dysfunctional in massive proportions. Even from the trailer, I could identifying with their life, especially the part where they get pulled over by a cop and the father says, Everyone, pretend to be normal.

Yeah, I feel like we're doing that all the time.

No comments: