Wednesday, January 11, 2006

My Chic Ghetto

Despite the decrepitude of my industrial, high tech gym, these are the things I love about it:

It's spacious and has a sexy design.
Here're the sinks for example. It's a round room. The counter top is chipped here and there and the taps don't always work, but it's sleek looking.


Here're some lockers. Full-size lockers with benches! Not like those little square cubby lockers stacked on top of one another so you have to figure out how to shrinkwrap your boots, coat, gym bag, and clothes into a compact bundle in order to fit everything in. Plenty of room to change so you don't have to stake your territory or elbow someone in the face.


The gym is large and has high ceilings.
There is room to breath even if many people are pumping iron at the same time. The equipment are closely stacked together but because of the high ceilings, you don't feel cramped.

Weight machines. They look like torture machines. They are!


Treadmills and ski machines


The floors are solid.
I once went to a gym that had their equipment on carpet with plants everywhere to create that luxury feel. I hated it.

Lots of equipment.
There are lots of cardio machines and different weight equipment that work the same muscles so there are rarely line ups.

More treadmills. Notice some of them have TVs attached.


The free-weight area


People mind their own business.
I can't say that I am a social kind of workout gal. When I am in sweats, I am there to work out. Don't fucking talk to me unless you are dying and in need of an ambulance.

Good lookers sometimes come through.
My most memorable day in the gym was just before Pride Day one year, when a group of pretty blond boys paraded through. They stood by the machines and tried to tone up before they displayed themselves on the big day. And in another corner, there was a group of beautifully sculpted black men flexing their muscles, putting the final touches to their gleam. Sometimes individuals look familiar to me. My trainer pointed out a few times who's who in what TV commercial or show.

It's downtown.
That means I get errands and shopping done when I go to the gym.

The gym runs 24/7.
Not that I have ever gone to the gym after midnight, but I like the idea that I can.

I pay a great rate.
After my first two years at the regular membership price plus personal trainer costs, I debated whether to continue my membership. I opted to do so and filled out a form to make monthly payments (so I can cancel anytime) instead of paying the annual fee upfront. But due to an administrative error, they cancelled my membership. Head office phoned to offer me a special deal to come back. Who was I to say no to $15 a month when I thought I was paying $40 a month?

It's the little things.
This is most important to me. Like when I took my new digital camera in to take these photos of the place this week. After taking the photos, I got on a treadmill. When I finished, I walked away, leaving my camera in the cupholder of the treadmill. On my way out, a group of staff stopped me at the front desk. One of the staff had seen me take pictures and noticed which treadmill I was on, so he returned the camera to me, no questions asked. I appreciate that while I tune everyone else out, they hadn't tuned me out.

I have been with this gym for five years now. During this time, I have belonged to other gyms at the same time (yeah, double membership, but it didn't mean I worked out twice as much). I've felt inspired to use all the gyms I've belonged to at the beginning, but when the novelty wore off, I just pay the membership and stop going, until I get mad at myself for paying for a service I don't use.

I've now cancelled all memberships but this one. I stay with this gym because it meets my needs. The gym's been good to me, it's cheap, and it's chic, in a broken ghetto sort of way.

No comments: