Saturday, January 07, 2006

How Superheroes Are Born

Someone said recently that too much time spent alone, her thoughts turn negatively inward. I know that problem. I need a lot of alone time, but I don't like being alone too much. During long periods of aloneness, my self-doubt rises, self-esteem plummets, all is more not well with the world.

Maybe that's why I blog. It is a form of human connectedness, even though the company are virtual friends. C'mon, they're not imaginary friends. It's not like I'm sitting down to tea with them.

But it's just as possible that when one is alone, one comes out with an inflated feeling of self-importance, a smugness requiring no validation, an escalated, delusional even, sense of grandeur and significance in the big scheme of things. Or am I wrong? You don't know anyone who spends a lot of time alone then walks around thinking he's a superhero, do you?

Or is that how superheroes are born? They come from people who spend time alone and not get depressed. These people take flights of fancy in their aloneness, not fits of fatality, and they do think they are more special and grand than others. Only, they are also grounded in reality so they don't walk around acting important, they create characters who do that. They are probably quietly optimistic, happy people.

I wonder if I can create the character first, and become quiet and optimistic later. I'm onto something here. Mindy, my trailer park friend, my exorcism exercise, has to go. She has to turn into a superhero.

No comments: