Thursday, January 05, 2006

Lies and Their Liars

I hope The Boy never becomes a telemarketer. It just seems such dishonest work. I am shocked that a company like Bell Canada would provide their telemarketers with the vocabulary and circumstances to harass and mislead customers.

I received a phone call last night. The woman at the other end said, "Are you the person in charge of internet services in your house?"

"Yes, I am."

"You've been selected to receive Bell's ultra internet service. It's an upgrade to your existing high speed internet. This upgrade includes a free...and a free...and your access speed will be..."

"How did I get selected?"

"Right now, you are a high speed internet customer, so you have been selected to receive the upgrade."

"Who selected me?"

"Well, if you were a basic service customer, you wouldn't be selected. Only high speed customers are selected."

"But don't customers just pay for the service they want?"

"Yes, but with your upgrade, you will get a free...and a free...and your internet speed will be..."

"How much would the upgrade cost me?"

"$5 more a month. This is not a promotional offer. You will have this rate as long as you accept our offer."

"So this free upgrade will cost me $5 more a month? What am I paying now?"

"You are paying $44.95 a month now. With the upgrade, it will be $50 a month."

"No thanks."

I immediately went to the bell.ca site to see what their regular rate for high speed ultra service is. It's $50 a month. I feel so targetted.

No comments: