Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mixed Signals

The Man comes back today. I rented a car for his time home, and to run errands in preparation for his arrival.

But for most of yesterday, I felt bad. Bad, like unsettled, jittery. Didn't know if I wanted to sit or stand. I kept wanting to throw up. I felt my pulse racing for no reason. God, I thought, Why am I so nervous at The Man's homecoming?

I tried to go about my day. On return from the library, I rushed into the house. Something had a grip of my stomach and I needed to let it go.

So. It wasn't The Man coming home that upset me. It was those sausages I had for breakfast. I thought they tasted funny. Really, I have to stop this need to not waste food. Bet the Halloween chocolates I couldn't stop eating didn't help. I stayed home all afternoon to be near the bathroom.

But isn't it interesting though, that the symptoms are the same whether you are physically or emotionally upset.

2 comments:

PP said...

But this is my research field! Psychosomatic Medicine - exploring the exact biochemical mechanism by which the mind and the body are connected. It's not just the same symptoms whether you are physically or emotionally upset - it's that it's bi-directional. Being physically upset causes emotional upset, being emotionally upset causes physical upset.

You really are a closet psychiatrist, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

I have this patient that has diarrhea everytime she has an anxiety attack. She refills her Rx for clonazepam and imodium at the same time.