Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deranged Hydrangea

I am just not a dedicated fitness buff. Which is why I am far from buff.

While cleaning out my garden, I noticed my hydrangea was looking kind of sad. It was blooming on one side only. The other side was scraggly and dry, yet the branches were still firm so I couldn't snap them off. Last year, the plant was full of leaves. It did not bloom at all. I have decided this plant is behaving like a psychotic. It certainly looks like one.

So it was thinking about this hydrangea and wondering what I can do with my garden this year that I gathered my workout clothes and trotted off to the gym. But I did not get far.

I got to the end of the street when I ran into my neighbour coming home with a hanging plant in her hand. We chatted, then I agreed I'd wait for her in the garden centre while she took her plant home, get her purse, and come out again. I said to myself, the gym is open till 5 pm, I could go later.

We ended up buying a cartful of plants. We had to borrow the garden centre's trolley to wheel our purchases home. But of course we had to bring the trolley back. It was after we dropped off the trolley that we decided we really needed coffee. The day was so overcast and cold.

We went for coffee and dessert. Walking back from coffee, we passed by a Japanese restaurant that is now my new favourite. Right there and then we formulated a plan to have dinner at the restaurant. Her family and me. She'd come get me at 6:30.

By now, it was 4:30. Too late to go to the gym. So I potted some of my new plants in urns and cleaned out the garden some more.

At dinner, we had a massive pig out. Her kids loved the food and wanted to try everything. The food just kept on coming.

So instead of going to the gym, I got derailed to coffee and dessert, and a huge supper. Sometimes, I think I am the one who is deranged.

No comments: