Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jakarta

I am at Le Meridien hotel in Jakarta tonight. The city looks beautiful at night. That is, it is a developed city without the dirt, rubble, and stench of New Delhi. On the way into the hotel, we and the taxi did get scanned. Security is visible as there uniformed soldiers in the street, though they seem to be visiting with each other more than guarding anything.

The road coming in from the airport was not crowded. That is, it seemed like a normal flow of traffic without chaos and congestion, given Jakarta is the second or third most populated city in the world. Apparently, it's Muslim new year this weekend and a lot of people are away. The Man says the roads can be congested even at 3:00 am.

It's so strange to meet The Man here, like we're both out of context. I think I haven't slept for 24 hours or more. It's 12:30 am Friday. If I go to sleep now, I may wake up like it's a normal day tomorrow and not suffer jet lag.

No comments: