Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Attachments

Well, The Man is so attached to his motor scooter he won't give it up. He's extended its rental for I don't know how long. He likes scooting around in it, even though I can't stop shrieking every time he makes a turn or speeds up.

I didn't go to the gym today. When The Man went surfing, I browsed in the surf shop and bought a surf shirt and surf shorts. The shirt is a short-sleeve lycra T that says Rip Curl Australia on the front. Good enough.

But I didn't join the surfing lesson either. First, I swam in the ocean. Wave pools have nothing on the real thing. The crashing white waves beckoned and I saw some kids with a short board doing body surfing. I went back into the surf shop and asked to rent one. They said I am looking for a boogie board and I can only rent one on the beach from one of the vendor.

So I got me a boogie board and tried to body surf. I didn't know what you're supposed to do with it so I used it as a float. And while testing out my new toy, I realized I love my surf shirt. It is a marvelous piece of technology that protects me from the sun while I abandon myself to the waves. The short, not so much. They fall off me. But still, they provide good coverage and I am sure they wouldn't fall off if the waves weren't crashing into me, and if I developed a more refined waist to hold them up.

After a while, I asked a blond boy how to work the boogie board. I was sure he was Australian. He told me how to boogie in his Australian accent, then his friend demonstrated. What a difference that made. I caught two waves and rode them in! I definitely had the urge to stand up on the short board each time I caught a wave. That's how surfing must've started.

The Man didn't do badly either. I saw him get up on the surf board a few times. I don't think he's been able to manage that in past attempts.

Okay, I could be a water rat, and I love my surf shirt. The Man loves his scooter and he surfs. Maybe we'll move to California and I'll be surfer girl and he'll be scooter dude. Will The Boy pretend he doesn't know us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too love my scooter. There is something to be said about the thrill of being open to the wind, weaving and dodging amongst traffic, being able to honestly curse at drivers who either don't see you or wish you weren't on the road. (Albeit, I've never had to put up with said drivers in a large city but I know I would fair well) I've been thinking of selling my beloved mode of transportation. Perhaps I've found a buyer? In regards to the surfing. I remember when The Man and I were young, there was a film which was produced called "The Endless Summer" A documentary about some surfer boys who travelled the world in search of that perfect wave. They followed the earth's summer climates. The Man was thoroughyly engrosed and enraptured by the concept of the "surfer world" Your story conjures up the sound of the Beach Boys in the background. Obviously (to Me) the film had a profound influence which he may not realize. To that I say this "Go, Guy Go!"