Sunday, December 02, 2007

Nasty Wakeup

The Boy is away for the night. Since I went to bed, thick snow covered the ground. I bought a new winter tire and won't have the set on the car till Monday. It means I can't drive the car in the snow till then.

At 4:30 am, the phone rang. I picked up and an accented male voice at the other end said, "I have your husband here. Can you come out with the money?"

You can imagine what went through my mind.

We exchanged a few 'Who are you? Where are you calling from? What number are you dialing? Who are you calling about?' from me, and 'Bring money to get your husband' from him.

I could sense the man was puzzled by my aggressive and urgent tone. He must've sensed my approaching panic. He finally summed up, "I'm calling from Royal Taxi. I'm in front of your house at Rogers and Dufferin. Is that your house? Your husband Hyber gave me your number. He's here. He said you would pay the fare."

I told him, "Hyber is not my husband. I don't know him. My house is not at Rogers and Dufferin. You have the wrong number."

Whew.

2 comments:

PP said...

Phew! I felt impending panic as I was reading this post. Can't imagine how you must have felt. More like a nightmare!

cocteau said...

Well, that's weird.

Your (other) husband