Sunday, December 23, 2007

T'was The Day Before

It's Christmas Eve. I feel my brain has been in stasis. Not much going on up there. Then I stumbled upon Goggle Earth on the main computer.

Like a provincial dullard, I immediately tried to locate my house. But I had trouble. I just couldn't quite follow the topography. I found City Hall, but I couldn't follow the roads to my house. Everything looked too similar and I needed more locational cues. After 10 minutes, I wanted to give up.

Then The Boy came into the room. I swear, within 15 seconds, he found our house and zoomed in on it. Then he said, "The picture must have been taken in the summer. See all the leaves on the trees." I hadn't noticed. I was still looking for our red car parked in front of the house. "We were probably out and that's why our car is not there," he said.

How does he do it? He is so fast and things make so much sense to him. Was I once like that? I want to believe so. I want to believe he got some of his smarts from me.

Here are The Boy and his friends in the summer, conquering the sharks in downtown Toronto in their spare time. See how clean cut and fresh faced they all are!


Then here is me and my friends in our spare time.



I have not been able to get out of my befana persona since Winter Solstice. I communicate with other hags in character by e-mail and exchange photographs.

The consolation is, a fellow hag (he is a man-hag) Chris, said looking at the collage above, he thinks of us as goddesses. He is reminded of the story of Actaeon, a hunter in Greek mythology who stumbled upon Artemis bathing in the lake. Having seen the goddess naked, he is turned into a stag. His dogs then chase him down and maul him to death. The moral of the story is, you should never look into the face of an unmasked befana on the night of Winter Solstice. I made this moral up, but not the story. The Greek myth stands.

Does being a goddess console me for being a slow dolt most of the time? No. But it does make me feel I have good friends to go through life with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you Sylph and your family. We hope you will have a good time and it is nice that the man is at home .
Every year we hope to have a white Christmas, and nearly we did have , because saterday everything was white , but now it's raining again. But we will enjoy Chritmas nevertheless.

Fryslân.