Sunday, February 19, 2006

Six Degrees?

I spent last week working at Bro Bro's store. Here was a foreign environment for me. I have no connection to his business or customers. But this is the discovery I made.

Bro Bro said to me one day, "Two weeks after dad passed away, I found a copy of Chicken Soup For The Grieving Soul on my counter. I don't know who left it for me. I've been reading it once in a while. It makes me feel better."

Later that day, a customer of his came into the store. Bro Bro chatted with her. After, he told me she is the widow of a lawyer who died suddenly on the job working on a high profile case. The stress of the job killed him. Two months before that, her brother had also died suddenly. This happened just over a year ago.

"She must've left the book on the counter then," I said to Bro Bro. It was also just over a year ago that my father passed away.

When I got home, I told The Man about this customer of Bro Bro's because something about her story was familiar. The Man said, "That's because Friend is also a lawyer working for the same employer as the widow's husband. Friend had told us about his colleague dying on the job. In fact, Friend was on the phone with him when suddenly, the colleague went silent. Later, they found the colleague dead in his office."

Of all the gin joints the widow could have been a customer of... How coincidental is that, that I should meet the widow whose story I had heard, and who because she was grieving for her brother and husband, left a book that comforts Bro Bro?

No comments: