Sunday, February 19, 2006

Mean Well But Lazy

The electrical power in our house has been going on and off this weekend. I know this because every time I come home or wake up, I have to reset all the clocks and re-record my phone message. This isn't so bad except when you get that close to appliances in the daylight, you see the blackened dust gathered in the crevices and the trails of dust worms wrapped around wires and the clusters of dust bunnies hovering in corners.

It bothers me because I consider myself a fairly regular housekeeper and I resent that despite my consistency, there are areas I consistently neglect to clean. Once I am aware of these areas, the more visible areas of disarray and soil in the house become that much more visible to me.

I have this week off. Okay, I have most weeks off. But this week I am off, then I work for three weeks for Bro Bro. I need to clean the house this week in an environmentally friendly way. On the weekend, I'm hosting a review session at the house for environmental project funding.

A friend of mine is an environmentalist. She's one of those people who go around downtown in the middle of the night picking up birds that smash into downtown's tall towers in mid-flight. Three years ago, she inherited some money. She set up an environmental foundation in honour of her parents. Each year, the foundation funds several projects up to $10,000 each.

Because I'm on the panel to review the funding requests this year, I've been paying more attention to environmental issues. I feel I need to put her money where my mouth is and incorporate more green practices in my routine. It's not that I am an over-consumer of natural resources. It's more that for the sake of convenience, I rely on commercial cleaning products. And I don't want the house to smell of ammonia when the group gathers on the weekend.

It's hard. Should I scrub the toilet with javex or baking soda only? Do I really need everything to be shiny white? And really, am I living in a cleaner space when the floor is vacuumed but but you see dust particles in the light? The housecleaning battle is an ongoing one. There are many homemade and commercial green cleaning product alternatives. I just hadn't bothered. I didn't realize I wasn't all that friendly in this area. Maybe it's because I don't like cleaning the house. And I'm lazy. And now I will have to give it more energy.

Tomorrow then, to the organic health store I go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, that although not entirely environmentally friendly, Mr. Sticky, Mr. Clean Erasers and Mr. Swifters can be a girl's best friends....and chemical free to boot.