Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Power Of Drugs

One night after dinner, my face broke out in welts. The next morning, my face started itching. I was having an allergic reaction to something, though who knows what.

In the afternoon, I went to the pharmacy. The druggist recommended I took a 24-hour non-drowsy dose of antihistamine, then follow up with another dose at bed time. Because I'd be double dosing, I would sleep through the night, plus get a stronger treatment for my allergy.

So at 2 PM, I took my first pill. At 11 PM, I took my second. I slept like a baby through out the night. But in the morning, I was groggy. I stayed in bed. Then at 1 PM, I woke up refreshed. It was exactly 23 hours since my first dose of antihistamine. The double-dosing effect was over.

It also reminds me of years ago when I fell skating and broke my wrist. The Emergency doctor said he would knock me out for half an hour and reset my wrist. He gave me a shot. I looked at the time. In the blink of an eye, I woke up, exactly 30 minutes later. My wrist was in a cast and I had no memory of the 30 minutes that passed.

I marvel at the exactness of drug dosing.

3 comments:

PP said...

you mean a non-drowsy antihistamine or a drowsy one? did the hives go away?

Anonymous said...

A high dose of a non-drowsy anti-histamine can still cause slight sedation

The Sylph said...

It was non-drowsy. Double dosing did not cause slight sedation, it caused prolonged grogginess. But you know, this morning, I feel the drug completely out of my system and I am back!