Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's Some Kinda Groovy

I've been listening to Jay and the Americans. They were a group popular in the 60's...cuz I'm on this retro music nostalgia kick. I listen to the voice as an instrument and marvel at the range and mood a human voice is capable of conveying.

Jay and the Americans is on their third Jay. There really is a Jay. The first two had to change their names to Jay and now they finally got a lead singer whose real name is Jay. Of course these guys are in their 60's. But they still sing. In some of their earlier songs, I can't tell the difference between the band's Jay singing and Roy Orbison. Roy did not record with them. Only in some of the high and fast notes that Jay hit could I detect a difference. Their songs are so much fun.

And there is The Animals. A truly marvellous performing group because of Eric Burdon's voice and expressive stage presence. Again the voice! In some of their songs, I can't tell the difference between Eric Burdon and Mick Jagger. They both produce that gravelly baritone howling sound when they want.

My favourite Animals song is Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. The lyrics are so human.

Baby, do you understand me now?
Sometimes I feel a little mad
But don't you know that no one alive can always be an angel
When things go wrong I seem to be bad.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Baby, sometimes I'm so carefree
With a joy that's hard to hide
And sometimes it seems that, all I have to do is worry
And then you're bound to see my other side

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

If I seem edgy, I want you to know,
That I never mean to take it out on you
Life has its problems, and I get my share,
And that's one thing I never mean to do

'Cause I love you,
Oh

Oh, oh, oh, baby - don't you know I'm human
I have thoughts like any other one
Sometimes I find myself, Lord, regretting
Some foolish thing, some little simple thing I've done

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
Yes, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
Yes, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

The song was written for Nina Simone and I'm trying to find her version to hear how she sings it. But I love how Eric pleads he's only human in a love song. There's such strength, self-awareness and vulnerability at the same time.

I am surprised that most of The Animals' songs are more bluesy than rock. You wouldn't know they were a British band.

So here's my unsurprising confession I hope. When The Boy is not home, I turn up the music and sing along with all these old bands. But here's the surprising part. I told my next door neighbour what I've been listening to. She said on nights when her husband is away, her daughter is asleep, and she knows I'm out, she goes down to the basement and cranks up music from the 70's and dances to it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Husband J loved The Animals. When a coleague heard of this, he made a compilation of Eric Burdon's greatest hits and gave it to him, calling it "Jimmy's Animals". I play it once in a while and smile. Your friend talks about going into the basement and dancing to 70's music whilst no one is about. The past three New Years I Have told daughter number 3 (who didn't know what to do on that eventfull night)that I will be happy being left alone, dancing around the livingroom, nude, to music of the 60's and 70's. She gratefully decided to go elsewhere! The movie "The Last Waltz" is a perfect way to spend a nostalgic episode. To all of you- Dance your hearts out- It's fun!

Anonymous said...

Would it not be Some Kinda Groovy that I dance then with you Sil2 ?
so you don't have to be alone. Wonder if my wife and Sylph would let me.

Fryslân,

Anonymous said...

Oh in case you celebrate this one too , Happy New Year to you all.

Fryslân,

The Sylph said...

Happy lunar new year.

Far be it for me to give anyone, and especially consenting adults, permission to dance! It's not like you'll be stomping near my crystal goblets and porcelain figurines.