Thursday, December 11, 2008

End Of The Line

When I was younger and worked downtown, there were days when I came home from work exhausted. If I went shopping after work, I came home and collapsed right into bed without undressing.

It's been a while since I've spent time downtown. I went yesterday and roamed around the shops for an afternoon. By 4 PM, I was exhausted and desperate to get home. It wasn't crowded, but people were shopping for sure. Every shop had short line-ups of two or three people at the service counter.

I felt foul in the midst of all that consumerism. It must've made me invisible or hostile-looking. Several times, and this is in the same day, the service person simply skipped over me and offered to help the next person in line. Or shoppers walk past me and laid down their request for service even though I was in line ahead of them. Each time, I raised my hand and said, "Excuse me, I was here first." Each time, the offending party turned to look at me and were surprised to actually see me there.

I bought three things and decided to return two of them within half an hour of purchase. How bitchy was that? I don't think I can be downtown everyday or even for a few hours any more.

So I came home and did all my Christmas shopping online.

No comments: