Sunday, August 05, 2007

Smitten

I am in Ottawa right now, at an internet cafe. The four of us - The Man, The Boy, The Exchange and I - have spent so much time together, we came here to have some alone time. Each alone in front of our own computer, communicating with the world beyond the four of us.

We came to Ottawa directly from our camping trip at Awenda. I think my purpose in life must be to coordinate trips like this that bring friends and family together. Each year, I have a good time. This year, I had a great time.

I wonder how much of the good time had to do with Prozac, and how much of it had to do with all the women on the trip getting just a bit smitten with The Exchange.

He's such a cute guy, so charming, and a terrible flirt. On the first night of camping, I told him that in the morning, we will have coffee for him. He said, "Yes that is good. Coffee in the morning makes a man happy." It took a few seconds to sink in that he meant himself as the man.

The Exchange helped around the camp site, chopped vegetables for dinner, and enjoyed spending time with younger kids. Of 7-year-old Nephew, he said, "He looks like a surfer when he runs, because he has long blond hair and he wears a surfer shirt. He's the little brother I wish I had."

We went into Penetanguishene one day to get travel information. We met a sea captain in the tourist bureau who told us Penetanguishene is a French settlement and therefore, many people speak French. The young woman at the desk immediately offered a few phrases of French to welcome us. When we got outside, The Exchange said to me, "I will come back to Canada. I will come back if all the girls who speak French in Canada are as pretty as she is."

Later at a drive-in, Sis asked him if he has a girlfriend. He flubbed about. I said, "The question is, how many girlfriends do you have?" He's quick and good natured. "Seven," he answered, "one for each day of the week."

Driving to Ottawa, we stopped for a Subway sandwich. In the car, trying to maneuver the sandwich, he spilled some sauce on his jeans. "Arg," he complained, "I am sure this is an American sandwich. In France, we also have sandwiches, but the sauce, they stay inside the sandwich. Here, they go to the jeans."

He absolutely charms and delights me. He's polite, helpful, gentlemanly, smart, funny, and the more I see him, the better looking I think he is. I am sure I have a little crush on him. But then I stop myself. Shame on you, I say, he's six months younger than The Boy.

It's okay. Because the maternal urge is also strong. I want to adopt him and Kid2 because they are so much fun to talk to and be with. I could be way ahead of Angelina Jolie.

We've been very tired in Ottawa. It's all the late nights at camping, and the walking around. We are trying to recover because tonight, we head to Davidson, Quebec for whitewater rafting in the morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sylph,
Glad that you are happy, and belief me it's not the prozac ,but it's the person called Sylph.
Do you now understand why man are crazy about france woman ( girls ).
Enjoy your crush because you know when to stop.
Have a good time.

PP said...

Have you gotten him to give you kisses on the cheek in the mornings yet? Got to get those surreptitious thrills in somehow. Yes, he's absolutely dreamy. I had a Mrs Robinson thought going, seeing as I'm still technically a divorcee.

The Sylph said...

But the truth is, don't mothers fall in love with their children, especially when they first get to know them. Sure, usually the children are infants. It's just a quirk of timing that The Exchange is a teenager at this point. It is never far from my mind that he is a boy, very much like The Boy in fact. I pulled a Star Wars on him yesterday. He got hurt rafting. Cut his skin. But he refused treatment. So I finally said in my Darth Vader voice, "Luke, I am your mother." To which he submitted to having his wound cleaned.