Thursday, August 16, 2007

Desperately Seeking Balance

You know I love the boys in my house right now and sometimes I can't believe what I good time I am having with them. Last night, The Boy invited a friend to join him and The Exchange on an outing. When they came home, I happened to drive by the bottom of our street. So they swarmed me, sat on the hood of the car, and generally mimicked ruffians. I told them the neighbours are watching so they quickly got into the car like good boys.

As much as I love them, I find myself craving greater intellectual stimulation. They've so filled my capacity for silliness I find I cannot sit through a Harry Potter reading. I want to read a book of substance. I give of myself to them, around the clock it feels like, my yearning turns to my sketch book, pastels and oil paints. For the first time, I resent that our CD player is broken and I can't play the music I enjoy. As I go about my errands and drive the boys around, I find myself looking out the car window, hoping to run into a friend for some adult conversation. I am in need of replenishment.

But it's hard to get away. I just made BLTs for the boys' lunch, then came downstairs to blog. After his lunch, The Exchange came down, looked deep into my eyes and said, "Thank you Sylph, for lunch. That was very good. You come back with me to France and make food for me."

"Did you try the banana bread?"

"Ah yes, I tried. But I can't eat. It's very sweet. I want to eat but my stomach does not agree."

"Oh you're a smooth one."

"What? What you say?"

"Nevermind. That's okay."

Okay. Now I really got to get out of the house before I jump all over the dear boy and smother him with kisses in front of The Boy and his friend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say that The Exchange has left an impression here in the Hammer.

When he and The Man dropped by, I had a friend over for our weekly dinner. Despite being very tired he was ever so charming, polite and yes cute as ever. When they left, my friend said "I could just eat him up, he's so adorable."


So it seems that he has an effect on many, and I can see why the French have the reputation of being great lovers...I have to admit that he will probably be one.

The Sylph said...

Thank god she felt that way. Means I'm not a dirty old lady. It's the attentiveness. He looks you straight in the eye and aims to please, like a gentleman. And he's a bit shy, which makes him ever so adorable. Yup, yup, sigh.

PP said...

Does The Exchange or The Boy read your blog?

The Sylph said...

Of course not. But The Man does and I think he's jealous.