Saturday, June 30, 2007

Before Departure

Sometimes you just want to box his ear.

We've arranged for someone to supervise the exam in France for his English online course. This is a course he's chosen to take not because he's making up for a failed course, but because he wants to do it now so he can have a spare in the Fall. Which he will use to socialize, I have no doubt.

The Boy's teacher has approved the lawyer that our Exchange family has recommended. In return, the lawyer has asked for a small souvenir of Canada or Toronto, like a small bottle of maple syrup or a small serving of pancakes. That sent me scrambling for gifts of maple syrup, pancake mix, wild rice, Montreal steak and chicken spices - all wrapped in a President's Choice green shopping bag because they use recyclable shopping bags in France.

Not just one parcel for the lawyer, but also one for the Exchange's father's family, and one for his mother's family. His parents are divorced and The Boy will stay with the father for two and a half weeks, then the mother for the last week, where he will take his exam. And Canadian novels for the mutual friend who introduced our two families for the exchange.

There was last minute shopping for footwear and underwear for The Boy. His friends kept phoning, text messaging, sending e-mails, chats on Facebook, and he kept making visits all over town to say goodbye. I've transferred all my cash to The Boy's account. He's received gifts of Euros from Sis and Mom. Everyone is excited for him. I am helping him pack.

I asked him, "How do you feel about going to France for almost a month without us?"

He said, "I feel impassive."

That's where the box on the ear comes in.

I suppose this is a step up from a few days ago when he said, "I don't want to go. I don't know why you're making me go. I'd rather be with my friends and do my online course."

Which was sort of a step up from two weeks ago when he said, "I am not going to France. I can't go. It interferes with my life. I only said yes to going because at the time, I didn't have plans for the summer and I was just indulging you and dad."

I told him recently I think he's a spoiled brat. He reminded me that unlike a neighbour's 13-year-old son who graduated from Grade 8, he never asked for a limousine to take him to his friend's party a few streets away, and when the mom said no, he screamed, "You ruined my life. I hate you." True, The Boy has never asked for a limousine and has never shouted that at me. Because he would get a box on the ear for sure.

The most we hope for now is he gets along with the Exchange, and he has a safe, fun time. Sometimes parents force their kids to do things they don't want to. Years later, the kids remember what a wonderful, meaningful and life-changing experience they had and are glad their parents forced them to do it. I hope this will be one of those experiences for The Boy. He leaves tonight and I miss him already.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Boy is going to have a wonderful time and in the end will be forever grateful. On the big upside, you and the Man will have some peace and quiet! I look forward to the day when I will no longer have a teenager in the house. 2 down, one to go. I'll be able to dance to the tunes on Psycadelic Sunday, in the nude with abandon.

Anonymous said...

bon voyage, et bon temps.

"wonder"