Sunday, April 29, 2007

That's What I'm Talking About

It's the weather. This warm sunny weather fools us into thinking it's summer and makes us all act a little crazy.

You'd never know that I am old enough to be someone's grandmother, if my life had taken a different turn. True. Years ago, I took a course at the university and in class was a 34-year-old woman. She proudly announced she had just became a grandmother. A grandmother at 34! Hey, I'm old enough to be someone's great-grandmother! So given my age, you'd never have guessed I would be so excited to be going to the Ricky Martin concert on Monday. He's just the cutest and sexiest man, gay or not.

Yesterday, The Boy came home from a sleepover. Around 1 pm, he said, I'm hungry. I suggested we go to Boom, a neighbourhood breakfast eatery that recently opened up. He said, What's Boom? I am quite sure I told him it was a restaurant and that we would leave soon as I changed into a fresh shirt. But according to him, I jumped around and chanted Boom, Boom, Boom, without answering him. Which made him mad as he had no idea what was going on. And we got into an argument, with him accusing me of prancing about in my own world and ignoring him, and me saying I have no idea what he was talking about. How could we be so far apart in our interpretation of a simple exchange?

Today, as I went about my house chores, The Man stayed outside building a box, The Boy sat in front of the computer doing his homework. It was a marvelous day. Our next door neighbour was working out in the back yard as well. We invited them over for a burger at dinner time. Another neighbour from up the street knocked on our door. She was walking home with some groceries and stopped by to borrow a ladder. When The Man and I rested in the backyard a bit, we overheard a neighbour from behind calling out to another neighbour a few houses down. We heard "Hello, hello there! How was your winter?" Then the two of them chatted about their gardening. That's why we live where we do. It's so great to have the neighbours out and see all of us connecting in different ways.

So in this even, happy rhythm of life, it occurred to me I had not jumped around and shouted Boom Boom Boom when The Boy said he was hungry. I jumped around and screamed Ricky Ricky Ricky when I found out I would be seeing Ricky Martin. So I asked The Boy if that could have been the case. He seemed taken aback, not sure whether I was right or not. Slowly, he acknowledged, Maybe.

It's this weather melding our memories as we settle into an unfurling of winter promises hatching on warm days and flowing into new beginnings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sylph, What ever , curious but a sympathetic Mom , " boom boom boom" the sixties ??

" Wonder"