Sunday, April 08, 2007

Old People Singing

Once in a while, I really need to get away from our daily routine and do something enjoyable by myself. This being Easter weekend, I wanted to do something to mark the holiday, but not something overtly religious. The more I read about the roots of Christianity, the less trust I have in the Church and its dogmas.

So in this mood, I came across an invitation to the Toronto Chamber Choir doing Francesco Cavalli's Requiem at a church. My favourite thing to do in Europe was to casually stroll into a church and stumble upon a concert. That happened all the time, which made me think church concerts were frequent, casual occurrences. I have been looking for church concerts in Toronto. They exist, but they are often accompanied by a full-fledge mass service, or they are very expensive. I have no desire for either.

A choral concert of a requiem in a church on Easter weekend. That sounded perfect. As long as there was no church service attached. Though I wouldn't put it pass those sneaky Catholics if they tricked me into paying for a concert, then giving me a mass instead. But I have to have faith in something. I have faith in the reputation of the Toronto Chamber Choir, though I have never seen them live.

So for the evening, we got into the car, drove to a restaurant near the church, had a quick bite, then The Man and The Boy went to see a movie while I headed off to the concert.

It was a good concert. No mass, just singing. The thing I couldn't get over when I looked at the choir, was that 80 per cent of the members had white hair. They were mostly men and women well into their fifties. Which answered my curiosity about why the choir, as controlled and pleasant sounding as they were, didn't hit any high notes. They were definitely alto and deeper singers all of them.

There were two young women, maybe in their twenties. Turned out they were soprano soloists. There was also a woman, maybe in her late thirties. She was the mezzo soprano soloist. There was a young boy who turned pages for the pianist. The two instrumentalists were young men. And I think that may have been it for young people. Everyone else was a senior citizen.

Which is quite impressive.

5 comments:

PP said...

I went to see the free, annual Christmas Carol Concert hosted by the Toronto Star at St. Paul's church at Bloor and Jarvis Church this year. I guess all church choirs are composed primarily of senior citizens. Certainly everyone I know of who sings in a church choir. Wouldn't you know though that I had to pay. First by donation to a Christmas fund. Seconed by sitting through a mass. It was a mean trick.

Anonymous said...

Sylph,
If Christianity is not your thing, you could consider Moslim.
It's not the church you have to believe in but Jesus Christ.
Dogmas, personal I think it brings you something extra and colour in your life.
What's wrong with a mass or a small donation you are not double Dutch I hope.
Here where I life, usely not the catholics are sneaky but the protestants.
Anyway you were impressed ,so I can say you enjoyed your Easter , and that is good.
"wonder"

Sparky said...

The last time I had to attend mass, it was for a confirmation. Any time I'm in a church, I can't help but quietly laugh uncontrollably at the content of the sermon. It's always so hypocritical. And of course, the basket comes around. Though I object to this as well, I always put somethilng in as guilt wins over my objections to the church and religion at large. On this occasion, the most fascinating thing was about 15 minutes later, the basket came around again! What, a quick count showed that they didn't collect enough the first time around?!? I was too flabbergasted to contribute a second time. The gall!

The Sylph said...

It's not god and the idea of Jesus I object to. I don't like how the church keeps so many people out and uses guilt and fear to keep those who stay. So much for free will.

WW and Sparky - you do realize we were all baptized Roman Catholic? Mom got us all hell insurance.

Anonymous said...

Sylph.
So was I baptized too, but with a heaven insurance, or perhaps purgatory. Our church here in Fryslân is surely more easy going.
"guild and fear" thats history.

"wonder"