Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Those Decisions

I can't believe I allowed Christmas decorations to stay up until now. May as well lean dead tires against the house and string pepper lights across the front porch to make us look like a trailer. It's not that I've been too lazy or I forgot they were up. It's more that we took most decorations down except for the fake garlands above the windows and a strand of star lanterns in the hall. That's because The Boy said they look nice and they don't look all that Christmasy.

But when I started spring cleaning this week, I realized, Who am I kidding? They are so Christmas decorations.

So today, I took down all the decorations and cleaned out the shed to put things away, hoping to give our house an airier feel. Then I went out for the afternoon. When I came back, I forgot the decorations had come down and didn't notice a difference. When The Boy came home, I asked him what's different in the house. He said, Nothing. He hadn't noticed the decorations gone either. So why'd we leave the decorations up?

It's hard to balance calm and airiness without being stark, with warm and welcoming without clutter. I guess it's like everything else in life - am I dressed too warm or not enough, have I taken too much food and not left enough for others or have I not taken enough and insulted the host, should my hair go more pink or more green... There are so many decisions to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we were separted at birth...with a few years in between. Just a couple of weeks ago I took down our Christmas lights from outside.

Someone walked by and said "I know you're supposed to wait for a warm day, but really...It's almost Easter" And then I realized...I wasn't late taking them down, rather I was right on time having them out for Easter! I would have been more than happy to leave them up for Easter, but my hubby was in a "clean the front of the house" kind of mood. I was no fool to mess with that kind of enthusiasim! You've got to get what you can get, when you get it!

So now the lights are in the front room in a box that still has few Christmas gifts in it that just didn't quite make the grade. Like the "Towel Origami" book that my MIL gave to my Daughter.

Maybe I should jump on your spring cleaning bandwagon and get my ass in gear. Right after I catch an episode of CSI, and have a beer, and look through a magazine, and....Who am I kidding. I'm sure I'll get to putting away my Christmas box before I have to hull it again in 1 2...7 months! Just as soon as I clean up the basement! HaHa.

At least it's not as bad as the Halloween Hay I kept around for two years!