Thursday, November 10, 2005

Night Dishes

I don't understand the dishes in our sink.

I'm a late-to-bed-early-to-riser. The Man went to bed late, but he slept in on weekends. The Boy wants to go to bed later but goes around 11:00 p.m. under protest. I don't know what time he actually falls asleep.

All this is to say, we go to bed at different times. I know that for each of us, just before bedtime, we have a drink of water, juice or tea. That should only be three cups left on the kitchen counter overnight. And even when we have an overnight guest, we should have only four glasses out on the counter or in the sink overnight.

But something must happen in the middle of the night that none of us are aware of or remember. Often, in the morning, I find a sinkful of used dishes, pots and pans sitting on the counter. I don't remember us being that thirsty or hungry at night. But we must've partaken of sustenance or had a party or something.

This week, The Man is still away, The Boy is in New York, I have no house guests. I only have myself to account for. I still find the same sinkful of dishes in the morning.

Am I eating that much in the middle of the night? Am I really not doing the dinner dishes? Are they in fact breakfast dishes? What kind of habit do I have that I am not noticing?

No comments: